Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Kitchen Living Mandoline Slicer (Aldi)

I love a bargain. I also love to cook. So you can imagine how happy I am to find a gadget to help me cook on a bargain. Being a SHM, I try to be as frugal as possible, hence the reason why I love to shop at Aldi grocery store. Aldi is a great place to find awesome tasting food at awesome prices, and they even sell other household items at a fraction of the cost. We will venture more into amazing Aldi deals later on.

On my last trip to my favorite grocer, I came across this Mandoline slicer for only $4.99! The cheapest that I have found of one of these is just under $10.00 at Wal-Mart, and it doesn't look even the most appealing to me. This Mandoline slicer is made by a company that I have seen from time to time at Aldi called Kitchen Living. I haven't had the opportunity to try many products from their line, but with deals like this, I think I will in the near future!

Pictured here is the packaging. Pretty nice, huh?

This is all that's included inside. Nice and neatly wrapped in plastic. It also includes a handy dandy manual.

Here's everything out of the plastic. You get five blade attachments (julienne, grater, fine grater, thick slicer and thin slicer), a food holder and a finger protector with prongs to. The food holder has a non-slip grip and grooves to hold it in place. 

I decided to test it out on my favorite type of onions: Yellow/Sweet. White ones are just a bit too strong for an ex-hater of onions. Baby Steps, people.

I simply (kinda sorta) pushed the prongs on the finger protector into the onion. This helps secure whatever you're slicing and dicing.

This is the size cut I got from the thick slicer. Perfect!

The loose onions are a product of the thin slicer. The remainder of the onion is on the counter to the right. Not much left at all! Just like I like it. More for your money people... penny-pinching here! 

So, my conclusion???

For less than five bucks you can safely slice up veggies and cheeses (or whatever you want...not judging here) quick and easy. It was pretty easy cleanup as well. I simply took the blade out and washed it in warm soapy water (Oh, who am I kidding..I like my water hot as I can stand it. Let the heat clean...no need for elbow grease. We're trying to get rid of grease, right?) 

Be careful...The blades are super sharp!

Frugal Fact: The cooking Mandoline got it's name from the instrumental Mandoline because it's used in a similar way.



5 comments:

  1. where can I get a spare thin slice attachment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look below. Or above. Where ever my comment to your question posted. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there. I probably should update this blog post. I can't tell you where to get another thin slice attachment being that I no longer own this product. I can't remember why I returned it, but it may have been due to the flimsy construction of it. Check the manual if you still have it. Thanks and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Indeed a good post, I know mandoline slicer is very important for our kitchen, it helps do various work like cutting in a very short time, I myself love it & that's why I have recently purchased one of the best Mandoline Slicers available, because i really the slicer to save my time and need it work for long time.

    By the way, Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete